Volunteer Coordinator – Position Announcement
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham (VLB) seeks to hire a Volunteer Coordinator with the skills and
commitment to recruit, organize, train, and direct volunteers (attorneys, students, and others)
to serve at VLB’s Help Desks. The Coordinator will also assist with pro bono representation of
low-income clients, and support programs associated with the association’s board of directors,
committees and departments.
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham is a corps of attorney volunteers coordinated by a professional
staff driven to improve access to justice. VLB is the only non-profit in the state of Alabama that
provides immediate access to free high-quality attorneys so low-income families can obtain
critically needed legal services.
Snapshot of Roles & Responsibilities for the Volunteer Coordinator include:
- Organizes, coordinates and manages the monthly recruitment of approximately 75-
volunteers for more than 20-VLB Help Desks a month, approximately 12-full pro bono
cases, and any additional VLB programs.
- Manages a volunteer database and calendar system to organize volunteers to
appropriate programs and cases.
- Works with law firms, law schools, and other social, civic and local organizations to
develop partnerships, where appropriate, to recruit and best utilize volunteers.
- Develops and implements training programs for all volunteers.
- Maintains updated records on all volunteers including developing and facilitating
reporting by hours served for individual volunteers and firm participation.
- Sets up and attends volunteer training sessions and meetings. Reports to staff on
volunteer activities as needed.
- Recommends and develops ongoing volunteer utilization.
- Develops and implements a volunteer recognition program.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will:
- Believe authentically in VLB’s work of providing access to free high-quality attorneys.
- Work proactively and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Operate with a mindset of learning, listening, and achieving goals.
- Commitment to Low-Income Individuals/Communities.
Key Competencies & Skills
- Strong communication proficiency, collaboration, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to present and interact effectively with people of all ages and
cultural backgrounds, including communicating with our diverse constituencies – from
law firm partners to potential clients.
- Commitment to teamwork orientation and leadership skills.
- Technical capacity with the ability to properly manage time and multiple projects.
Education, Job Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communication, social sciences or related field.
- Three years or more of successful work experience in this or a related field.
- Prior experience as volunteer coordinator for public or nonprofit employer.
- Prior experience creating and implementing volunteer programs and training.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suites (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to travel – primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area
and overnight travel may be expected.
- Access to a car, possession of a valid driver’s license, and proof of current automobile
- Complete and pass all background checks and security clearances.
- $30K – $50K – based on qualifications, experience, and ongoing superior performance
- Health and dental insurance provided by the organization; matching retirement
contributions and vision coverage also available
- Vacation, sick time, and generous paid holiday schedule
Expression of Interest
To apply, submit your cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to HR@VLBHAM.ORG
with “Volunteer Coordinator” in the subject line. To ensure your resume is considered,
PLEASE follow the submission process. And PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham staff. We are focused on the mission – to provide immediate
access to high-quality attorneys so low-income families can obtain critically needed legal
services!! Thank you.