Staff Attorney- Position Announcement
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham seeks to hire a Staff Attorney with proven legal experience
coupled with the unique ability to manage programming to help low-income clients with civil
legal issues and the capacity to inspire attorney volunteers to fight for veteran’s equal justice.
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham (VLB) is a corps of attorney volunteers coordinated by a
professional staff driven to improve access to justice. VLB is the only non-profit in the state of
Alabama that provides immediate access to free high-quality attorneys so low-income families
can obtain critically needed legal services.
Snapshot of Roles & Responsibilities for the Staff Attorney include:
- Organizes, coordinates and manages between 8 and 12 legal Help Desks a month.
- Ensures that Help Desks have necessary volunteer staffing and material.
- Provides courteous, professional, and empathetic service to low-income clients.
- Provides useful, accurate, knowledgeable, and timely support to attorney volunteers
including, but not limited to, form preparation, filing support, case preparation,
settlement, and litigation support.
- Manages a caseload of approximately 50 to 75 active full representation pro bono cases
assigned to attorney volunteers by working closely with both clients and volunteers.
- Recruits (with support from the Volunteer Coordinator) and supervises attorney
volunteers who are providing pro bono representation to clients.
- Maintains super-user knowledge of VLB’s case management system to update/manage
cases, run tracking reports, and facilitate successful completion of cases.
- Works with social, civic and local organizations to develop partnerships, where
appropriate, to recruit clients and collaborate to provide legal help to low-income
Highly Qualified Candidates Will:
- Believe authentically in VLB’s work of providing access to free high-quality attorneys.
- Work proactively and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Operate with a mindset of learning, listening, and achieving goals.
- Commitment to Low-Income Individuals/Communities.
Key Competencies & Skills
- Strong legal and litigation skills, including issue-spotting, experience with the Jefferson
County Courts, capacity to advocate assertively and effectively, and litigation
- Demonstrated ability to present and interact effectively with people of all ages and
cultural backgrounds, including communicating with our diverse constituencies – from
law firm partners to potential clients.
- Strong communication proficiency, collaboration, and organizational skills.
- Teamwork orientation and leadership skills.
Education, Job Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- Licensed attorney in good standing.
- Licensed to practice law in Alabama.
- At least 3 years of legal experience. Previous litigation experience will be given strong
- Experience representing low-income clients is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suites (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to travel – primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area
and overnight travel may be expected.
- Access to a car, possession of a valid driver’s license, and proof of current automobile
- Complete and pass all background checks and security clearances.
- $40K – $60K – based on qualifications, experience, and ongoing superior performance
- Health and dental insurance provided by the organization; matching retirement
contributions and vision coverage also available
- Vacation, sick time, and generous paid holiday schedule
Expression of Interest
To apply, submit your cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to HR@VLBHAM.ORG
with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. To ensure your resume is considered, PLEASE
follow the submission process. And PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to Volunteer
Lawyers Birmingham staff. We are focused on the mission – to provide immediate access to
high-quality attorneys so low-income families can obtain critically needed legal services!! Thank