Birmingham School of Law opened their new campus in January of 2014. The move to the newly renovated historic Judge Hugh A. Locke building marks the 1st time in the 90+ year history of the school that the program has been located in a facility dedicated to legal education.
The 3-story 42,000 square foot building was renovated to keep the historic look and feel from when the building was first opened in the 1920’s. The first floor includes the law library, computer classroom for accessing Westlaw and other online legal resources, a mock courtroom, conference rooms, a student commons, and 114 seat tiered auditorium.
The administrative offices and classrooms are located on the 2nd floor while the 3rd floor is 100% dedicated to classroom space.
A roof terrace was added to the building to allow students a way to get away from their studies, relax, and have one of the best views in Birmingham.
The Birmingham School of Law is located at the corner of 22nd Street and 3rd Avenue South. The majority of BSL students work full-time and take classes at night.
The building foyer features historic tile that is a reproduction of what was in the showroom of the car dealerships that were located in the building from the 1920′s until the 1990′s.
The law library and adjoining computer classroom provide an ideal study environment. These quiet areas provide all the tools to research and prepare for classes and exams.
The student commons offers a place to study in groups, relax with some food before class, or just watch some TV before heading to class.
The building includes a mock courtroom and 2 conference areas across the hall to test try cases and for use by BSL’s Mock Trial team.
And a 114 seat auditorium allows for guest speakers. The tiered seating was designed around the old ramps that were used to drive cars from the display floor to the service areas originally located on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
The majority of the classroom space is located on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
And to allow for a break from the rigors of study, a rooftop terrace was added to the building.