Veterans Staff Attorney- Position Announcement
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham seeks to hire a Veterans Staff Attorney with proven legal
experience coupled with the unique ability to manage programming to help veterans with civil
legal issues and the capacity to inspire attorney volunteers to fight for veteran’s equal justice.
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham (VLB) is a corps of attorney volunteers coordinated by a
professional staff driven to improve access to justice. VLB is the only non-profit in the state of
Alabama that provides immediate access to free high-quality attorneys so low-income families
can obtain critically needed legal services.
Snapshot of Roles & Responsibilities for the Veterans Staff Attorney include:
- Organizes, coordinates and manages between 4 and 12 legal Help Desks a month.
- Ensures that Help Desks have necessary volunteer staffing and material.
- Provides courteous, professional, and empathetic service to low-income clients.
- Provides useful, accurate, knowledgeable, and timely support to attorney volunteers
including, but not limited to, form preparation, filing support, case preparation,
settlement, and litigation support.
- Manages a caseload of approximately 50 to 75 active full representation pro bono cases
assigned to attorney volunteers by working closely with both clients and volunteers.
- Recruits (with support from the Volunteer Coordinator) and supervises attorney
volunteers who are providing pro bono representation to clients.
- Maintains super-user knowledge of VLB’s case management system to update/manage
cases, run tracking reports, and facilitate successful completion of cases.
- Works with social, civic and local organizations to develop partnerships, where
appropriate, to recruit clients and collaborate to provide legal help to low-income
Highly Qualified Candidates Will:
- Believe authentically in VLB’s work of providing access to free high-quality attorneys.
- Work proactively and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Operate with a mindset of learning, listening, and achieving goals.
- Commitment to Low-Income Individuals/Communities.
Key Competencies & Skills
- Strong legal and litigation skills, including issue-spotting, experience with the Jefferson
County Courts, capacity to advocate assertively and effectively, and litigation
- Demonstrated ability to present and interact effectively with people of all ages and
cultural backgrounds, including communicating with our diverse constituencies – from
law firm partners to potential clients.
- Strong communication proficiency, collaboration, and organizational skills.
- Teamwork orientation and leadership skills.
Education, Job Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- Licensed attorney in good standing.
- Licensed to practice law in Alabama.
- At least 3 years of legal experience. Previous litigation experience will be given strong
- Experience representing low-income clients is preferred.
- Veteran or active reserves experience will be given strong preference.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suites (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to travel – primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area
and overnight travel may be expected.
- Access to a car, possession of a valid driver’s license, and proof of current automobile
- Complete and pass all background checks and security clearances.
- $40K – $60K – based on qualifications, experience, and ongoing superior performance
- Health and dental insurance provided by the organization; matching retirement
contributions and vision coverage also available
- Vacation, sick time, and generous paid holiday schedule
Expression of Interest
To apply, submit your cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to HR@VLBHAM.ORG
with “Veterans Staff Attorney” in the subject line. To ensure your resume is considered,
PLEASE follow the submission process. And PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to
Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham staff. We are focused on the mission – to provide immediate
access to high-quality attorneys so low-income families can obtain critically needed legal
services!! Thank you.