The U.S. Small Business Administration has a need for a student intern at the Birmingham Disaster Loan Servicing Center. The U.S. Small Business Administration is a Federal Government agency that helps businesses start, grow and succeed; as well as service and liquidate Disaster, 504, and 7A loan programs. Program offices wish to host student workers in an effort to extend knowledge in their career field and develop skills to create a meaningful work experience. The Birmingham Disaster Loan Servicing Center has a current need for interns with case law research, legal document review and preparation, administrative functions, and varies other financial industry type experience or interest.
We hope the benefit of work experience, internship requirements, and an opportunity to gain insight into the field of Government work will attract interested students as this is an unpaid position.
Weekly hours will vary according to business needs and schedules, but we expect the person will work no more than 20 hours per week.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Regularly interact with SBA counsel on real estate, bankruptcy, UCC, probate estate, and debt collection matters;
- Review property titles, deeds, liens, and other information related to a parcel of land (single family, multi family, and commercial holdings);
- Research and make recommendations for resolving various legal issues;
- Assist with legal document preparation and filing;
- Review bankruptcy case filing notices;
- Assist with preparation and review of UCC documents;
- Assist with miscellaneous tasks and assignments, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities include but are not limited to:
- A basic knowledge of legal document drafting;
- Have advanced knowledge of personal computers, iPads, tablets and software programs such as LexisNexis, Excel, Power Point, etc.;
- Have knowledge of the principles, methodology and practices of research and data collection.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience
MUST HAVE COMPETED FIRST OR SECOND YEAR OF A LAW SCHOOL WITH DEMONSTRATED STRONG LEGAL RESEARCH, WRITING AND ANALYTICAL SKILLS, BE EXTREMELY DETAIL ORIENTED, HAVE THE ABILITY TO WORK INDEPENDENTLY WITH EXCELLENT ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS. MUST CONSISTENTLY MEET DEADLINES, HAVE EXPERIENCE USING FREE AND PAID RESEARCH TOOLS AND METHODS, OR HAVE AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE.
Please send resumes to: