Judge Hugh A. Locke was born in west Tennessee.
Locke began tutoring 23 young men who had purchased copies of Chadman’s Cyclopedia of Law. Birmingham School of Law is founded.
Birmingham School of Law moves to Birmingham-Southern College campus where it was successful and met the requirements of a first-class law school.
After leaving Birmingham-Southern, Birmingham School of Law relocates to Birmingham YMCA. The partnership lasted until 1929.
Bar examination is established in Alabama.
Birmingham School of Law moves to Jefferson County Courthouse. The school weathered the hardships wrought by two World Wars, and enrollment continued to increase.
The written bar exam becomes a requirement for all law students.
Birmingham School of Law celebrates its 50th anniversary
Hugh A. Locke dies and Hugh A. Locke Jr. assumes the role of dean. An effort was begun to close the non-accredited law schools in the state of Alabama, including Birmingham School of Law.
Supreme Court decision allows non-accredited law schools to remain open. The amendment was defeated with only one dissenting vote.
Tom Leonard becomes dean. The school’s first honor code is established during Leonard’s tenure.
Birmingham School of Law moves to Frank Nelson Building in downtown Birmingham. The school’s enrollment continues to grow.
Ginger Tomlin becomes dean and serves until 2006. She made the LSAT a requirement for admission to the school.
James Bushnell assumes role of dean. Under his leadership, the school implements a senior seminar program which includes a bar review course.
Birmingham School of Law begins Saturday program. It is only the fourth school in the nation to do so.
School relocates to Judge Hugh A. Locke building, marking the first time school has its own building. The move gives the school 40 percent more room.
Birmingham School of Law celebrates its 100th anniversary. The school continues to offer a quality education at an affordable price for law students.